No Bookmarks Exist.
The library, thank you. 4:00 PM and I'm calling meeting of the library board and Pacific Grove to order. I will note that we have 00:00:02
attending Carla Nielsen, our secretary Alicia Perez. And I'd like to welcome a new board member, Karen Block, who has previously 00:00:10
served on this board and is joining us again. Welcome, Karen. I look forward to working with you. 00:00:19
Our first agenda item after roll call is approval of the agenda. I'll ask if anybody has any additions or corrections to the 00:00:30
agenda. 00:00:34
Hearing none, I'll ask for a motion to approve. 00:00:41
Motion to approve. Second. Thank you. So Carla, with the motion and Alicia seconding. All in favor. Aye, all opposed. 00:00:50
Any abstentions? 00:01:06
So hearing none, it passes unanimously 400. 00:01:08
And next I am very happy under Commission and staff announcements to welcome. 00:01:14
Um, Mary Wyatt. 00:01:22
Yeah, thank you. Who is our Youth Services librarian And she's going to give a brief presentation. 00:01:24
On her work. 00:01:31
Thank you for that introduction. Yes, my name is Mary Wyant. I am the Youth Services Librarian at Pacific Grove Library, and I'm 00:01:36
here just to talk a little bit about, I guess, my position. Before I do start, though, I do want to thank everyone for being here 00:01:45
today. So this is very nice. Sure. So basically, my position entails anything involving children. 00:01:54
Babies. Basically. I do all the programming, I do all the story times. Let's see if there's collaboration. For example, on Mondays 00:02:03
or one Monday a month, I. 00:02:11
I collaborate with everyone's harvest and the museum, and we do a craft and kind of like a, I guess a program to kind of show 00:02:20
kids. 00:02:25
Different. I don't know kind of bringing part of the museum and the library kind of connected as well as they within everyone's 00:02:31
harvest or it's they have interns and they are there to help out and they're really great with kids. Let's see what else do I do. 00:02:39
I am responsible for the children's collection. So that means that I am responsible for ordering all the new books, deciding 00:02:46
whether or not. 00:02:53
In part. 00:03:01
Whether or not to keep a book within our collection. I'm responsible whenever we have patrons who request items that we don't have 00:03:02
in our collection, whether to add them or not. 00:03:07
I also am responsible for, I guess the wear and tear of books is citing if if there's something that needs to be replaced or if 00:03:14
it's something that is no longer part of our collection. So let's see. So basically those are the two big things. 00:03:22
Programming and collection development. I'm also responsible for the summer reading program, which is a big thing. We are. I am 00:03:32
super. I guess the whole community is fortunate because we have quite a lot of funding, which is awesome. 00:03:40
I really am very grateful to the various Gibbs grants for their funding, as well as the Joe Rock Fund, so that I feel like I'm 00:03:50
able to provide. 00:03:55
I think the best service is to our community and so in part we have this summer we have 8 performances which is just amazing. 00:04:02
Most of them will be outside at Jewel Park and some of them will be inside. Let's see. So other things that I do, what do I do? 00:04:12
Oh gosh. Well, fortunately, Robert down is just up the street, so they come down every grade. Kindergarten through 4th grade comes 00:04:23
down at least once. 00:04:28
To the library tomorrow. We have Forest Grove Kinders coming, so I'm excited about that Forest Grove being a little hard to walk 00:04:34
and makes it a bit challenging, but. 00:04:40
Their first grade team did come down as well, so I'm hoping with Kinder and 1st grade is kind of the new recruits that maybe more 00:04:48
grades will also come down which is great. So yeah, so hopefully Forest Grove will will be just as I don't know if we can visitors 00:04:53
as rubber down. 00:04:59
Umm, you hopefully know, but we have a new outreach vehicle, it's called the Move. And so that is super, super fun because now 00:05:06
when I go off to preschools, which is another I guess kind of fun thing that I do, is doing outreach in the community. So 4 * a 00:05:13
month I go to various preschools within the community and this past guess this past month and the end of April, I was able to take 00:05:21
the Move vehicle. 00:05:29
And I'll tell you a quick kind of funny thing, I think was kind of funny. So I went to the PG adult school and to visit their 00:05:37
preschoolers and they had their toddlers there and they're outside like, oh, Miss Mary and Miss Mary, can you can you drive by in 00:05:43
the vehicle and wave and honk at us? And I said, sure, of course I could do that. Well, I don't know if you're familiar with the 00:05:50
GEM vehicle, but the horn isn't on the steering wheel. It's actually on the left hand as if you were going to like, you know, 00:05:56
you're going to turn the blinkers. 00:06:03
So I am trying very, very hard to press on the steering wheel hoping that I get a horn and it never happened. So yeah. So anyways, 00:06:10
I now know where the horn is and I'm throwing pretty safe And yeah, so that's something else I get to do is drive the outreach 00:06:17
vehicle. And so this month I am going to be going through up or down and Forest Grove to talk about the summer reading program and 00:06:25
they'll see me and then they'll see the vehicle and I'm hoping they're going to be really excited. So I'm responsible for that. 00:06:32
The other thing I think is, gosh, it's like it's not time. And sure it seems like I have my own little own entity, but it really 00:06:40
takes a lot of collaboration, a lot of collaboration within the management team, within the library. So working with Charlene and 00:06:48
getting feedback and buy in from staff and what I'm doing kind of some ideas is really, really crucial for my position. I think 00:06:57
within the library there's there's multiple pieces that not everyone can see. 00:07:05
And so when I'm able to work. 00:07:13
Uh, yes. Maybe in the children's room. I'm only there because I've got technical services looking out for me. I've got our 00:07:17
circulation team looking out for me, and I've got a leadership team looking out for me and of course our director looking out for 00:07:24
me as well. So it's really not just me in there, it's everyone else as well. I'm just going to finish with one thing, which is 00:07:32
kind of basic to what you would think about a librarian, and this is an e-mail from I guess I won't. Well, I don't know. 00:07:40
Uh, from someone from our community. Anyway, she wrote me an e-mail and she said, Miss Mary, I wanted to thank you for helping 00:07:48
Olivia get some last minute research done for her Model UN conference. There's just something special about still being able to do 00:07:56
research the old fashioned way. And she said, I'm happy to let you know that Olivia was recognized for outstanding position paper 00:08:04
in her committee. And so then she sent me this picture of her daughter and there she is, the the model UN student. 00:08:12
And I think this is, it's just really nice to see that our community is utilizing the resources we have within our library to 00:08:20
hopefully make a difference. So that's me and that's what I do. And there's any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. 00:08:29
I have a question. 00:08:41
How? What do you use to know whether you've been successful? 00:08:43
It was cool. So are your two goals the programming in the collection? Are those What are the goals you have? And how do you know 00:08:48
when you've nailed it? Oh, I love that. That's a great question, Russ, 'cause we want to have, like, you know, we have to think 00:08:53
about the metric. You know, what is measurable? What is reasonable? What are my goals? 00:08:59
Honestly, yes. Looking at statistics is really, really important. There's no question about South. Numbers are very important. How 00:09:07
many programs am I doing a month? What age group, what age groups am I targeting each month to make sure that all ages are 00:09:14
represented? That's really important. Like as I said, it's like one thing will be really helpful with outreach vehicles that yes, 00:09:21
I can go to preschools and visit with kiddos that may not come to the library. 00:09:29
With their parents, that's really so that's really helpful. But. 00:09:37
Honestly Lee, Chef, I'm going to be honest with you, it is the anecdotes. It is driving that MOVE vehicle for the good old days 00:09:41
and I've got families and families there saying, oh Miss Mary, Miss Mary. And it's just amazing. And so most recently when I was 00:09:48
out and about in the move, there was a little girl and she was with her dad and she saw me and she was just looking and looking as 00:09:56
I drove by and her dad told me afterwards. 00:10:04
She kept on saying, Vroom, vroom, Miss Mary, Vroom, Vroom, Miss, Mary. And so Alicia, I think as much as I like to quantify, you 00:10:11
know, my success in that it is those antidotes and it is our community when they come and they know who I am and they come to our 00:10:19
library and hopefully they become successful readers. That's the ultimate goal. 00:10:27
Thank you. 00:10:35
Anybody else? 00:10:38
Thank you very much for your presentation. You're welcome. What is your collection budget? Oh gosh. So we. Oh, that's so it's. 00:10:40
Well, it's so collection wise it's kind of broken down into fiction and nonfiction and gosh, I I have to think about that. I don't 00:10:50
know it off the top of my head. So what we do is we have, we purchase books from Baker and Taylor once a month. 00:10:59
And we have. 00:11:09
Basically funds that are spread out throughout a 10 month kind of based on kind of fiscal year and so that's kind of hard to say, 00:11:12
I don't, I don't really know so my so I kind of know my number so. 00:11:19
I trying to think like what is that starting number, I don't know. I do know apart from the collection that with the Joe Rock 00:11:27
funds how that has worked out and I can use that for programming and and also for collection development they three years ago. 00:11:37
The direct funds were for $100,000 over a 10 year time period. Now that said, the funds have to be expended by the 10 years, so 00:11:48
there is no holdover, they must be spent. So those are funds that I'm able to use if within the city and what the library is 00:11:58
allotted isn't enough. I can add to that with those with that collection of money. 00:12:08
So I'd have to get back to you, Karen, if you like that specific number. 00:12:19
Thank you. You're welcome. 00:12:24
Are there any other questions? 00:12:28
You betcha. 00:12:30
What? 00:12:33
What are the biggest constraints in your job? If if there could be like one change that would just open it wide up, but like what? 00:12:35
What would that be? Yeah, you know, honestly, I think it's it's honestly, it's time. I am a 40 hour Children's Youth Services 00:12:46
children's librarian and we are open five days a week and it's not possible for me to be at the library the whole entire time. 00:12:56
I do come to I do work once a month on a Saturday to offer a bilingual story time. But that is my biggest constraint is time. If 00:13:08
there was more of me, that would be wonderful. 00:13:14
Yeah. Thank you. Thank you for that. 00:13:22
And I have a simple question. How long have you been working for the life? Yeah, so I've been there for 5 1/2 years and I started 00:13:27
out as an on call reference librarian. So that was, well, technically start on as a volunteer and then I became the an uncle, the 00:13:35
reference librarian. And that's one thing I'm very grateful about the city itself and. 00:13:43
With the support of the city manager and I guess what the council as well. 00:13:52
Is that and our leadership as well is that we have tried to hire and promote internally, which is really, really important. So 00:13:56
really the only way or the only reason why I'm there now is because of that philosophy. And with the previous children's 00:14:06
librarian, I hope I would obviously candidate, but nonetheless the previous librarian did retire. 00:14:16
And so there was a vacancy, and so hiring within the city's. 00:14:26
I just think that policy in itself, I mean not every position can just be ones that are open internally. But I think that was 00:14:33
really pivotal and I think that's the one of the kind of creates a real big kind of tightness and bond within the department 00:14:40
because you can see if I work hard and their openings then there's an opportunity for me it's it's not a given by any means, but 00:14:48
it is an opportunity and if that I guess kind of loyalty. 00:14:55
And dedication is rewarded. It does create a sense of I'm really glad to be here and so I'm very appreciative for that. So that 00:15:03
was a, yes, relatively easy question, but I wanted to answer in a way that was very honest and that kind of provided transparency 00:15:12
within the library that it is possible to move up and and so I'm grateful for that. 00:15:21
And finally, do you have any thoughts about how the this board might be able to help you? 00:15:31
I like that. Well, I think what is really important is, is, you know, I obviously have to make a lot of decisions and I think for 00:15:40
the board, I think, I think it's important. It's valuable for me, sorry to have, you know, I I want to hear your thoughts as well 00:15:50
and if there is a particular need within my scope of influence and what I'm able to accomplish myself. 00:16:01
And you feel that that's something that may be missing, then I'm certainly open to listening to it. 00:16:11
Thank you. Any further questions? Sure. 00:16:18
I have a follow up question. 00:16:21
My granddaughter was an avid reader. 00:16:26
And she and I always talked about covers for young adult books. And I would like to make a suggestion that you might consider, you 00:16:30
might have already done it, I don't know, is to have a contacts contest and following up on your query as to what is the best 00:16:38
cover for young adults. Yeah. Yeah. Within the industry, within the book industry, it's quite, it's quite the thing. Right. Right. 00:16:47
Yeah, I know that. No, that's wonderful, Karen. I know there was something along those lines. 00:16:56
When Charlene was the teen librarian, one of her ideas was to look at the covers of young adults and if they had a face, to kind 00:17:05
of align your face with the cover as well. And so that was a lot of, that was a lot of fun and so, yes, so Karen, I think that's a 00:17:13
great suggestion. What is your favorite cover? Sounds good. 00:17:20
Excuse me, There's nothing further. I thank you, Mary. I really appreciate your presentation. It was very helpful. You're very 00:17:32
welcome. Thank you very much for the opportunity to know you a little bit. I don't think we've ever grilled anyone like we're 00:17:36
just. 00:17:41
So I. 00:17:54
Next, following up on the agenda item we are on, we'll ask for council liaison announcements. 00:17:56
So everyone, good to see you guys again. So yeah, I'm, I'm guessing you guys are already familiar with the fact that our interim 00:18:14
city manager, who is with us for several months had his last City Council meeting on May 1st. 00:18:20
And as of yesterday, our new city Manager, Matt Mogensen is now at the helm and getting kind of getting around and starting to 00:18:26
meet people. So he's here in City Hall now if anybody wanted to to work on getting a chance to meet him and he will be at our next 00:18:33
City Council meeting. So yeah, we're very excited about that. 00:18:40
And then just some kind of key elements. I tried to pick out things that I thought might be relevant for you guys as community 00:18:49
members and if there was anything relevant to library. 00:18:53
So we did direct the city manager to return to council with documents having to do with reputing on the ballot, changing the City 00:18:58
Council from six to four members. And I don't know if you guys had the opportunity to listen to the meeting, but related to that, 00:19:04
but not. 00:19:09
But another advantage to the community is they are actually contracting with the third party vendor, Easy Smart Pay, which will 00:19:52
allow you to pay your property tax bill and your sewer bill on a monthly basis using either. 00:19:59
ACH or credit card. So that's something which I know there was some controversy, so I wanted to get the information out that it's 00:20:08
not that you have to necessarily pay it all at one time or I guess technically two or three times a year, but that gives you 00:20:13
additional options. 00:20:17
So that's coming. Recently, we also authorized the agreement with Park Planets. So the new play equipment will be going into 00:20:22
George Washington Park. So they'll start working on that. We also, and this is particularly related to the library as well, we 00:20:29
received an IT infrastructure assessment and that was looking at what we need to do for our city's IT infrastructure. And So what 00:20:37
we're looking at is improving speed, reliability, adding more redundancies. 00:20:44
Security. 00:20:52
And basically improving the overall IT infrastructure with specific focus on City Hall and City Council chambers as well as the 00:20:54
Police Department in the library. So they'll be bringing forward more information on that and working on that. And then just so 00:21:02
everybody is knowledgeable, we also directed the city manager to work with the clerk to provide notices. It turns out there is a 00:21:10
law. Well, it's not enforceable, the law of how soon before elections people can post election signs. 00:21:18
So as members of the city government, it's helpful to know in case anybody asks you why are signs going up early. It may be 00:21:26
because that we actually cannot enforce the law, that it can only be six weeks before the election. Should just want to make sure 00:21:30
you're aware of that as well. 00:21:35
Any any questions for me? 00:21:41
Thank you. 00:21:45
Thank you for. 00:21:46
McDonald, our council liaison, appreciate it. I'll ask Charlene if you have any announcements. 00:21:48
Yes, thank you. I'll do my general just kind of flowing through all our different programs and events as I normally would. So as 00:21:57
far as staffing, we did hire Melinda to Ruin. She's a new 30 hour circulation tech. She started on April 2nd and she's been great. 00:22:04
She's taken over position absolutely wonderfully and she seems to enjoy the position as well. We'll also increase Katrina Coyle's 00:22:11
hours from 30 to 40 hours per week. 00:22:18
She'll also be helping more with adult events now that she has more hours. She's one of our reference librarians. 00:22:25
As far as children's programs, we have our regular story times, which Mary kind of talked about, dated our first annual badges and 00:22:32
books. That was where we had two officers from the PD here in Fiji come out and read a couple of books, answer some Q&A and then 00:22:39
also give out little books and stickers to the children as well. And there was an attendance of about 17. So like I said, it's our 00:22:47
first annual, so we'd like to continue this each year. 00:22:54
Hopefully during National Library Week is our plan. 00:23:02
They have become increasingly popular. The word has gone out. The children's room during those times is super busy, so I hope you 00:23:46
make it out to the library so during some of these different story times and crafter news to really see just how much of A poll 00:23:51
Mary brings in. 00:23:57
That's been also popular. I started that on. 00:24:37
Think in December, January, and it was very popular. So basically teens come out, especially those that are really into like 00:24:40
fantasy and sci-fi. They're able to draw their own fantasy maps. Some of them are working on their own books and they're really 00:24:47
getting into it. She's also going to kind of build that into Dungeons and Dragons, which is also a very popular role-playing game. 00:24:54
So she kind of wants to start infusing that as well. And then we also have a paint party for teens on June 25th. 00:25:00
Other events I myself attended Canterbury Woods National Library Week event that they had on April 8th. That was great. I got to 00:25:08
meet a lot of the residents, learn about their different libraries. They have two different libraries there. So that was a great 00:25:15
event for me to kind of meet the librarians that are there as well. And you know, once again, outreach is important to us, as Mary 00:25:23
even said. So that was a good thing. And then the moderate Realtors Guild Open reception was on April 5th. That was well attended. 00:25:31
And then we also charge Particles, which is a jazz group, come with a poet, Mark Saggins on April 12th. We had the poetry 00:25:39
consortium meet up on 4/13, so April 13th. And then we also had Doctor Barbara Mossberg on April 19th. She did a play concert. It 00:25:45
was well attended, I attended. It was very fun. 00:25:52
And then the next day, on that Saturday, she had a memoir writing workshop, which was also full. 00:26:00
And the cake, if you're interested mostly in that, is around 11:30. So there you go. And then we'll also have Carol Marquardt back 00:26:39
on May 24th. She'll be doing a presentation that Friday evening. And then we have a meet the Author event on June 14th, which will 00:26:46
be Laurie R King and then a Recycled Book art workshop, which is part of our new adult summer reading program. We haven't done 00:26:53
that in years, have had anything for adults and that'll be on June 22nd. 00:27:01
As far as the move, I know I've talked about it a little bit and married it as well. It was shown at the City Council meeting on 00:27:09
April 3rd. It also debuted in the Good Old Days parade and it has been to various preschools and schools as well as we did drive 00:27:16
it over to public works to drop off donates to show them that we were capable of driving it. And to also say thank you very much 00:27:24
because they had a lot of parts in that and helping us get that ready to go. So that was fun and then. 00:27:31
Seen here and then we also plan to use it to go to Canterbury Woods. 00:27:38
Next Wednesday to do some outreach. 00:27:42
And that is all for me for now. Next meeting, I'll talk about the upcoming meetings I talked about and events and let you know how 00:27:46
those went. Thank you. 00:27:50
Thank you Charlene. I regret that I have a conflict. I can't work and I won't be at the 50th anniversary celebration, so I hope 00:27:57
everyone who can be there will be, as it sounds like, a lot of fun and I would be definitely interested in cake. 00:28:04
So I. 00:28:13
Does anyone on the board have an announcement? 00:28:16
The only thing that I have hearing none. The only thing that I have is a strong recommendation that each board member look at the 00:28:22
new board and Commissions handbook. 00:28:28
I learned something every time I look at it and it it's very clear, the guidelines are very clear and it's very useful and helpful 00:28:37
and I think we can avoid. 00:28:42
Some confusion if people will. 00:28:49
Take a serious look at what it says about how we need to conduct ourselves as a board. 00:28:53
Now we would go to general public comment and I. 00:29:03
Do we have a member of the public who would like to make a comment? 00:29:12
And I'm seeing none online. 00:29:19
Seeing none. Thank you very much. I did not receive any written, general public comment. 00:29:22
For this meeting. 00:29:30
Moving on to agenda item five, that would be approval of our minutes. Thank you, Carla, for your excellent minutes. 00:29:31
Does anyone have a question or a comment about the Minutes? 00:29:41
On the Minutes, they were for Tuesday, January 2nd, right? 00:29:47
So but it says on the in the actual minutes that they were approved. 00:29:54
For January approved and. 00:30:03
It should, I think it's just a clerical error, it should have said. 00:30:08
September minutes, because you met in September. They were approved by the City Council. December, I think, or January. 00:30:14
In the actual minutes for, yeah, we didn't have a meeting in March, right? So yeah. 00:30:23
Right, correct. 00:30:39
That was in the January minutes that were posted. 00:30:53
Do I hear a motion for approval? 00:31:00
Possibly with that? 00:31:04
Seconded. 00:31:15
All in favor. 00:31:21
Aye. 00:31:23
So. 00:31:31
It's the regular agenda unfinished. 00:31:41
The first item is this. 00:31:47
Procedures that we developed for non monetary. 00:31:50
Patients and. 00:31:54
It was. 00:31:58
Coming for our approval. 00:32:01
Time that Charlene took. 00:32:03
So in our prior meeting, we agreed to give her some. 00:32:06
Working at it so. 00:32:10
If she had any comments or concerns. 00:32:12
She could bring them up before we. 00:32:16
Finally. 00:32:20
That revised policy and. 00:32:22
Yes. And I'll just side note, we do I think have to say that Tom is not in attendance each time we do a yay or nay. 00:32:28
I believe so, yeah. 00:32:39
Like board member Tom Holden, yes. 00:32:42
With Tom Holden absent. Yeah, I believe so. OK. 00:32:48
OK. Thank you. 00:32:52
OK. And then going back into the non monetary donations, so I did look over the policy and the draft. 00:32:58
With that I noticed in there I did speak about. 00:33:08
Because she would need to be on board as well as get approval from their board of the Friends and Foundation before we can move 00:33:45
forward any further. 00:33:50
Thank you for that. It was my understanding she had been looped in. So OK, she hasn't. So now we know. Yes, I'm glad we. 00:33:55
Took a pause. So is what do you need any assistance from us to loop her in? So I did loop her in. She has a few questions. And so 00:34:02
I was thinking that me, myself, as well as you and Kim could potentially meet or e-mail about this. That way if we're not messing 00:34:10
with the quorum and kind of get to the bottom and make sure that this is something that they're also on board with before we could 00:34:17
move on. As far as a library board with that decision, yeah, I I agree completely. 00:34:25
So. 00:34:33
I will volunteer to help with that. OK. Thank you. Take the lead to make it happen. Yeah. OK. I'll do that. OK. Thank you, Tama. 00:34:35
You're welcome. 00:34:39
And I should have gone out for public comment. 00:34:52
Is only after clarifying questions were asked so at this point. 00:34:56
Umm, if you don't mind, I'll do that before we we go farther. So I think there is, is there any public comment? 00:35:02
I'm seeing none. Thank you. Thank you. So thank you. Now we can come back to the board and we can discuss the agenda. Report says 00:35:15
receive library director comments regarding the policy, but it doesn't give a policy number or name. I was wondering if you could 00:35:22
provide more clarification on that. 00:35:28
So once again, this was started before I took over the position, so I actually don't have a connection to that. All I saw was a 00:35:36
draft proposal. Tina, maybe you can speak to him. I don't know that it ever got a policy number. If you go back to prior minutes, 00:35:45
you can find the document or I can provide it for you if you want to catch up on it. The idea here was. 00:35:53
We on my watch here on this board, we recognized some monetary contributions to the library and the notion was that there are 00:36:04
people who give a lot of time and so we came up with a policy for potentially recognizing. 00:36:14
Extraordinary contributions that were not money and. 00:36:25
But. 00:36:32
Trying to think of the best way to catch up here might be to move this forward to a new agenda and include that draft policy in 00:36:34
the new agenda item. And then for current board members, if you go back to prior agendas, you'll see a link to that to that 00:36:40
document. 00:36:47
Chair, I did go back and I didn't see any policy, so I'm kind of. 00:36:58
You can see the document. 00:37:04
I know it was attached to some prior minutes, so I. 00:37:07
Let me I'm trying to figure the best way to do this. It is an equal best ways to carry it forward and and link the policy to the 00:37:12
future agenda item. 00:37:17
Thank you. That would that would make it available to everybody so we can. 00:37:24
Yeah, I did find it in the old minutes, which is why I thought it'd be good to talk about it and send it to Cambodia. It's 00:37:30
actually labeled draft procedure, not policy, which is maybe why it's not coming up. So I think it needs to be worded differently 00:37:35
to procedure instead of policy as well. 00:37:41
Thank you. 00:37:47
So our action is to carry that this forward to a future agenda item and and and catch everybody up on the draft procedure. 00:37:57
OK. 00:38:08
I think the idea here. 00:38:10
Well, you know, given that we haven't some new people involved, we could even take a step back and and. 00:38:13
Confirmed that the idea is still a good idea, but I think the idea was was had merit, but exactly how we operationalize it might. 00:38:20
You know, we could take whatever direction this current board decides they want to do. 00:38:27
And we need it. It was my understanding that the foundation had been looped in, as you say. Given that they haven't, we need to 00:38:34
make sure that happens. 00:38:40
Any further comments about this? 00:38:48
In new business. 00:38:52
So I. 00:38:57
I got the right agenda here. 00:39:02
Oh, you know what I did is I went to a different document, so I'm confusing myself. 00:39:12
Sorry about that. 00:39:19
I started to look at those minutes, so. 00:39:21
The outreach, communication, community involvement. That's our subcommittee of Carla Nielsen and Tom Oldham and you have a report. 00:39:25
Yes, I have a report. 00:39:36
Back on January 22nd, Tom and I met with Charlene via a Zoom meeting and we learned a number of things in our discussion. 00:39:40
Umm, We both queried about a meeting room that patrons could reserve for whatever reason, and Charlene said she's still pondering 00:39:51
how the library can provide that private meeting room for groups who would like to meet at the library. 00:40:00
It's also being considered whether the library should acquire musical instruments and or vinyl records for people to borrow. 00:40:10
Charlene is hoping to identify more teenagers who would be willing to provide help to the public with their technology issues. 00:40:20
#4 is about the library vehicle and we were told it'd be operational soon, so now it's on the road, so that's great. 00:40:29
Let's see. An idea Charlene had was to have police representatives. 00:40:40
Appear at the library periodically to meet with the public and answer any questions. 00:40:49
And she hopes that the library can be used as a way for other community groups to give information to the public about the 00:40:55
activities of their organizations. 00:41:00
And also that a librarian is planning to begin an adult reading reading group this summer. 00:41:05
So and Tom and I have been pleased to see the broad range of events that have been offered to the public and are excited to see 00:41:15
those plans for the coming months. We would like to offer our assistance in an area that perhaps could benefit from our outreach 00:41:22
and support. So any questions, so the if any board members have clarifying questions about this before I go out for public 00:41:30
comment, we can ask them now. 00:41:37
See if there is any public comment related to this item please. 00:41:49
I'm saying none. Thank you. OK, seeing none, this can come back for discussion. 00:41:55
I have a comment. Have you thought about the potential Pacific Grove Hotel? 00:42:04
When it goes up that. 00:42:10
We would communicate with them and provide information with them, or have a special case over there that showcases the history of 00:42:13
the library and. 00:42:18
That's a great idea. Programs. Let them know what programs are going on, sure. 00:42:24
I think that is a great idea. 00:42:33
My comment is just procedural. 00:42:36
It would be. At least one member of the public who routinely attends our meetings and isn't here today would appreciate getting 00:42:41
this report as part of the agenda. So we just didn't get it done in time. This time, yeah. So in the future, we'll strive to have 00:42:50
the report available for the public as part of the agenda. 00:42:58
Thank you for the work you are doing. I appreciate it. 00:43:09
Item C was this coordination group for city boards and commissions and which was an idea that was floated a few meetings ago 00:43:18
actually. And I have learned from our City Council liaison that this is no longer an active idea and therefore I think we can take 00:43:24
it off our agenda and not. 00:43:31
Carry it forward. 00:43:39
Any clarifying questions before I go out for the public for? 00:43:42
A Charlene, could you check to see if there's any public comment? 00:43:50
I'm seeing none. Thank you. 00:43:54
And seeing none. 00:43:56
It is. Any discussion from the board, we'll just take this off the agenda. Simple I think. 00:43:59
Item D Was this a question about record keeping for purchased art? To bring remind people about how this came up is we did a deep 00:44:06
dive into. 00:44:11
Resolving a collection, a set of art that was in the collection that we did not know much about and you know needed to figure out 00:44:20
if they were items that needed to be kept or or D. 00:44:29
Commission from the the collection, the question came up. Given that we resolved this historical problem, do we have good record 00:44:40
keeping if we buy something new so we're not creating the problem in the future that we have things that people might donate to us 00:44:49
or we might purchase that we need to record the Providence. So Charlene, have you had a chance to look into that? 00:44:59
Yes, thank you. 00:45:11
Umm, so we do have a policy and now that we have inventoried everything that we currently have with details, that's a good 00:45:13
starting point for the future. There is a form in the process if something does get donated to us or we do decide to add something 00:45:18
to the collection. 00:45:23
And that's a big if. If we do add it, it will go on the inventory list with details including the provenance of where it came from 00:45:29
so that in the future we wouldn't run into what happened probably 6 months ago or whatever it is. I did also bring the notation 00:45:37
request form that would be utilized for that. Basically it just asks about the donor, different contact information about the 00:45:45
artwork, including like the size, the value if there's an appraisal. 00:45:52
So I think that covers everything that we were looking for. Thank you. 00:46:35
Thank you. Are there any clarifying questions before we go out to the public? 00:46:39
So Charlene, could you check to see if there's any interest in public comment? 00:46:46
I'm saying that again. Thank you. 00:46:52
Thank you. The only observation I have is way down in the weeds. We are trying to substitute Library Board for Library Advisory 00:46:54
Board. 00:46:58
Any other comments or discussion? 00:47:05
Charlene, what's the number of that policy? 00:47:08
It's just titled Pacific Grove Public Library Donation Request form, so I could look online. Yeah, I don't think it's under our 00:47:13
actual policies. When you look at the city of Pacific Grove, how it has all the different policies there. I think it's just a form 00:47:19
that was potentially made internally. I'm not sure I'd have to see it. 00:47:26
Yeah, I don't think it has a policy number associated. 00:47:34
Good, as I know that this city has a policy. 00:47:37
I believe. 00:47:43
I was just wondering if you had taken a look at that and seeing whether? 00:47:45
We could fall under that because it'd be stronger if we had a policy. 00:47:49
Does the client mean a policy about donations in general through the city all right? 00:47:55
Of art? No, I haven't looked into that. I've only looked at what we have for the library and also what Diana Godwin, my 00:48:00
predecessor, referred me to when I did bring this up to her is that it would be potentially something we would discuss, but I can 00:48:05
certainly look at it. Thanks. 00:48:10
So should we carry this item forward to get a response to that question that Karen raised? 00:48:17
Seem right. 00:48:25
OK. 00:48:27
That's what we will do. We'll we'll talk about this at a upcoming meeting again. 00:48:28
And then under New Business, the only item I have is Any. 00:48:35
Suggestions that people on the board have for future agenda items. We're trying to adopt A discipline here where the agenda for 00:48:41
future meetings is set in the public setting, as opposed to some private communications among us between meetings. 00:48:49
So, any suggestions for agenda items for? 00:48:58
Future meetings. 00:49:05
Question for Elisa. We had spoken way back when about, you know, multicultural outreach, things like that. Or there was another 00:49:07
committee that you were a part of that we were going to merge together. Do you recall that? 00:49:16
Yeah, we had talked over a year ago in a couple meetings about trying to get a sense of. 00:49:25
Whether there is. 00:49:37
A match between the stated goals and mission of the library and the services and everything. We all know that they're doing great 00:49:43
programs and services, but. 00:49:51
Are those the mission in in congruence with that? 00:50:00
After I think a few meetings, it sort of kind of fell away. 00:50:07
For other things, but you and I had talked about. 00:50:13
Whether. 00:50:17
Information gathering on your committee if you came up with some understanding of either the nature of the community and the 00:50:21
specific needs of our community. 00:50:28
Where we might look and and make sure that everybody's being served appropriately and and sufficiently. 00:50:37
Or whether. 00:50:45
You'd discover that there might be an opportunity to, to reach a portion of the community that that might have something specific 00:50:48
in need. OK, right. Yeah, this helps because Tom and I are trying to see where we go next. You know, I feel like we've really, we 00:50:57
have a good idea now of the library services and the offerings and they're very robust. We had no idea, you know, that there were 00:51:05
so many different events and so many things for the, you know, the neighborhood here, so. 00:51:13
Just trying to. 00:51:22
Figure out something else for us as we go forward with our committee to look into another thing that I had. 00:51:24
Discussed quite a while back as I had talked with Diana Godwin, the director at the time, about whether. 00:51:32
The the library thought that there was it. It was worth reviewing their mission and their goals to see if there wasn't you know 00:51:39
whether they wanted to make something more specific in there or because it's it's necessarily very broad which is very helpful but 00:51:47
you know just in order in order to make sure that. 00:51:55
It's capturing the the current times and the current needs of folks and the current goals of of the library. 00:52:03
I'm not sure that we we really went anywhere with that specifically. 00:52:12
Something to think about so before we have further discussion. 00:52:17
Let me go out to the public to see if anyone has a comment about future agenda items. 00:52:23
No public comment. Thank you. Thank you. 00:52:29
It what dawned on me as it as you said that you're looking for future direction that we could perhaps add that as an agenda item 00:52:35
in the future. It not just receive a report from you but talk about it. 00:52:43
The possibilities that continuing to bring some marketing competence to bear on the the issue, we could find a new direction to 00:52:52
take. Does that make sense? I think sitting just the one time with Charlene, you know, really helped us to understand what her 00:53:00
mission is as the new library director. So we are kind of not really starting over because we've learned so much, but yes, just 00:53:07
to. 00:53:15
Redirect to specific goals. I think I outlined a few of them. Maybe we can put our might behind one of those and market that and 00:53:23
see what we get back. 00:53:29
So I guess my my question procedurally is, is this something that? 00:53:37
Where the Board as a whole could could contribute and we bring it back as an agenda item for the discussion by the Board as a 00:53:42
whole or is it something that you can carry forward with your committee of two and and we? 00:53:49
You know we can't help. 00:53:58
That's what I'm thinking. 00:54:01
I think Tom and I just need a little more time, 'cause it's been so fragmented, you know, over these past months. And I think now 00:54:03
we have a sturdy base and we have a director who's, you know, very willing to meet with us and work with us. 00:54:11
So I think let's keep it as the committee of two and then expand it at some point perhaps. 00:54:18
Any comments? Yes, discussion. The city, I believe, is going to be hiring a demographer. 00:54:28
As part of the. 00:54:36
The redistricting issues, So I don't know as far as the timeline when that is or whether it is in the works or when the report is 00:54:40
expected, but I would think that that would be some help for you because they would definitely look at the demography of the city. 00:54:50
Great suggestion, Karen. 00:55:02
I do have an agenda item to for future putting on the agenda and thank you Alicia for bringing that up about the. 00:55:08
The mission. Excuse me, In reviewing the old minutes, I saw that particular documented item where they were talking about the 00:55:16
missions not being aligned. And so I went through and I pulled out, excuse me, the mission of the library board? The mission of 00:55:24
the Pacific Grove Library. 00:55:31
The mission of the Friends and Foundation, The City of PG Mission. 00:55:41
And I looked at the budget and it has a mission and it doesn't correlate to any of all of the above. 00:55:46
So I I want to come from a place of where there's not a problem that we are solving. There's not a problem with the mission 00:56:33
because I I wouldn't endorse that. 00:56:38
But I think it's worth a look. 00:56:44
And and I got the sense from Diana at the time that that there there. 00:56:47
She didn't think that there was necessarily anything that needed to be done. 00:56:53
But I feel like it's one of those things that you would prefer to do, like as a setting point to to. 00:57:00
Pull in the culture to make sure that you're sharing the culture that the library has. 00:57:09
Rather than, I don't know, something pops off and somebody feels away or somebody wants to take a library in a direction and and 00:57:16
and the mission can be helpful in maintaining what the. 00:57:23
Preferred direction is so. 00:57:32
No, thank you. 00:57:35
So if we put it on, it's not because we're fixing a problem. 00:57:36
The mission is great. Let's make sure it is still great and it is great. 00:57:40
Yeah. 00:57:45
I I I think of it also it's potential education, you know, for us and the public about the missions in these organizations. And 00:57:49
Tom Oldham has asked more than once if we could have a presentation from the Friends and Foundation so that he can figure out how 00:57:57
the two organizations work together. So if we can continue to work on that, that would be very helpful. 00:58:04
So. 00:58:13
I'm going to propose that, at least as the first start, we review the missions. Karen, you did see a mismatch with the budget. 00:58:16
Yeah, correct. On on the budget page for the PG library. 00:58:31
It has a mission statement and is not in alignment with the library mission, so we we we do have something possibly worth. 00:58:37
Highlighting So let's put something on the agenda. That is, we'll start with a review of the missions and sounds almost like 00:58:50
whoever put the budget together and thank you for the research and thoroughness you've been bringing to this. Might have copied 00:58:57
from the wrong place to come up with the mission of The Who knows museum but. 00:59:05
With Let me not solve that here, but suggest we put that review on there and then see if we can get a presentation from friends 00:59:15
and Foundation just for our education. 00:59:19
About how they view their role in relationship to us, that's been the question Tom has raised more than once. 00:59:25
OK. 00:59:32
I mean, it looks like the budget mission is just the first half of the state admission of the library, so I wouldn't necessarily 00:59:34
think that's. 00:59:37
I mean, well, let's deal with that when we have it all in front of us. 00:59:40
I just. 00:59:47
I just wanted to say I did look at other like fire and police and things like that and then cross reference and they did. 00:59:48
They did not abbreviate or abridge, and so it's got to be an old one. It just needs to be updated. There you go. 00:59:55
Beyond that, beyond. 01:00:04
Clerical issues here, I think personally I see some value in us getting those missions in front of us and letting the public good, 01:00:08
whether they listen to our recording or participate in our meeting, know what they all are and and I think it would be fruitful. 01:00:14
So let's do that. 01:00:20
And. 01:00:27
On that note, umm. 01:00:29
Our next meeting is July 2nd, 2024 and with no further business to conduct, we are adjourned. Thank you all for your contributions 01:00:33
and participation today, July 20, July 2nd. I have July 2nd. Thank you. 01:00:42
Link
Start video at
Social
Embed

* you need to log in to manage your favorites

My Favorites List
You haven't added any favorites yet. Click the "Add Favorite" button on any media page, and they'll show up here.
The library, thank you. 4:00 PM and I'm calling meeting of the library board and Pacific Grove to order. I will note that we have 00:00:02
attending Carla Nielsen, our secretary Alicia Perez. And I'd like to welcome a new board member, Karen Block, who has previously 00:00:10
served on this board and is joining us again. Welcome, Karen. I look forward to working with you. 00:00:19
Our first agenda item after roll call is approval of the agenda. I'll ask if anybody has any additions or corrections to the 00:00:30
agenda. 00:00:34
Hearing none, I'll ask for a motion to approve. 00:00:41
Motion to approve. Second. Thank you. So Carla, with the motion and Alicia seconding. All in favor. Aye, all opposed. 00:00:50
Any abstentions? 00:01:06
So hearing none, it passes unanimously 400. 00:01:08
And next I am very happy under Commission and staff announcements to welcome. 00:01:14
Um, Mary Wyatt. 00:01:22
Yeah, thank you. Who is our Youth Services librarian And she's going to give a brief presentation. 00:01:24
On her work. 00:01:31
Thank you for that introduction. Yes, my name is Mary Wyant. I am the Youth Services Librarian at Pacific Grove Library, and I'm 00:01:36
here just to talk a little bit about, I guess, my position. Before I do start, though, I do want to thank everyone for being here 00:01:45
today. So this is very nice. Sure. So basically, my position entails anything involving children. 00:01:54
Babies. Basically. I do all the programming, I do all the story times. Let's see if there's collaboration. For example, on Mondays 00:02:03
or one Monday a month, I. 00:02:11
I collaborate with everyone's harvest and the museum, and we do a craft and kind of like a, I guess a program to kind of show 00:02:20
kids. 00:02:25
Different. I don't know kind of bringing part of the museum and the library kind of connected as well as they within everyone's 00:02:31
harvest or it's they have interns and they are there to help out and they're really great with kids. Let's see what else do I do. 00:02:39
I am responsible for the children's collection. So that means that I am responsible for ordering all the new books, deciding 00:02:46
whether or not. 00:02:53
In part. 00:03:01
Whether or not to keep a book within our collection. I'm responsible whenever we have patrons who request items that we don't have 00:03:02
in our collection, whether to add them or not. 00:03:07
I also am responsible for, I guess the wear and tear of books is citing if if there's something that needs to be replaced or if 00:03:14
it's something that is no longer part of our collection. So let's see. So basically those are the two big things. 00:03:22
Programming and collection development. I'm also responsible for the summer reading program, which is a big thing. We are. I am 00:03:32
super. I guess the whole community is fortunate because we have quite a lot of funding, which is awesome. 00:03:40
I really am very grateful to the various Gibbs grants for their funding, as well as the Joe Rock Fund, so that I feel like I'm 00:03:50
able to provide. 00:03:55
I think the best service is to our community and so in part we have this summer we have 8 performances which is just amazing. 00:04:02
Most of them will be outside at Jewel Park and some of them will be inside. Let's see. So other things that I do, what do I do? 00:04:12
Oh gosh. Well, fortunately, Robert down is just up the street, so they come down every grade. Kindergarten through 4th grade comes 00:04:23
down at least once. 00:04:28
To the library tomorrow. We have Forest Grove Kinders coming, so I'm excited about that Forest Grove being a little hard to walk 00:04:34
and makes it a bit challenging, but. 00:04:40
Their first grade team did come down as well, so I'm hoping with Kinder and 1st grade is kind of the new recruits that maybe more 00:04:48
grades will also come down which is great. So yeah, so hopefully Forest Grove will will be just as I don't know if we can visitors 00:04:53
as rubber down. 00:04:59
Umm, you hopefully know, but we have a new outreach vehicle, it's called the Move. And so that is super, super fun because now 00:05:06
when I go off to preschools, which is another I guess kind of fun thing that I do, is doing outreach in the community. So 4 * a 00:05:13
month I go to various preschools within the community and this past guess this past month and the end of April, I was able to take 00:05:21
the Move vehicle. 00:05:29
And I'll tell you a quick kind of funny thing, I think was kind of funny. So I went to the PG adult school and to visit their 00:05:37
preschoolers and they had their toddlers there and they're outside like, oh, Miss Mary and Miss Mary, can you can you drive by in 00:05:43
the vehicle and wave and honk at us? And I said, sure, of course I could do that. Well, I don't know if you're familiar with the 00:05:50
GEM vehicle, but the horn isn't on the steering wheel. It's actually on the left hand as if you were going to like, you know, 00:05:56
you're going to turn the blinkers. 00:06:03
So I am trying very, very hard to press on the steering wheel hoping that I get a horn and it never happened. So yeah. So anyways, 00:06:10
I now know where the horn is and I'm throwing pretty safe And yeah, so that's something else I get to do is drive the outreach 00:06:17
vehicle. And so this month I am going to be going through up or down and Forest Grove to talk about the summer reading program and 00:06:25
they'll see me and then they'll see the vehicle and I'm hoping they're going to be really excited. So I'm responsible for that. 00:06:32
The other thing I think is, gosh, it's like it's not time. And sure it seems like I have my own little own entity, but it really 00:06:40
takes a lot of collaboration, a lot of collaboration within the management team, within the library. So working with Charlene and 00:06:48
getting feedback and buy in from staff and what I'm doing kind of some ideas is really, really crucial for my position. I think 00:06:57
within the library there's there's multiple pieces that not everyone can see. 00:07:05
And so when I'm able to work. 00:07:13
Uh, yes. Maybe in the children's room. I'm only there because I've got technical services looking out for me. I've got our 00:07:17
circulation team looking out for me, and I've got a leadership team looking out for me and of course our director looking out for 00:07:24
me as well. So it's really not just me in there, it's everyone else as well. I'm just going to finish with one thing, which is 00:07:32
kind of basic to what you would think about a librarian, and this is an e-mail from I guess I won't. Well, I don't know. 00:07:40
Uh, from someone from our community. Anyway, she wrote me an e-mail and she said, Miss Mary, I wanted to thank you for helping 00:07:48
Olivia get some last minute research done for her Model UN conference. There's just something special about still being able to do 00:07:56
research the old fashioned way. And she said, I'm happy to let you know that Olivia was recognized for outstanding position paper 00:08:04
in her committee. And so then she sent me this picture of her daughter and there she is, the the model UN student. 00:08:12
And I think this is, it's just really nice to see that our community is utilizing the resources we have within our library to 00:08:20
hopefully make a difference. So that's me and that's what I do. And there's any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. 00:08:29
I have a question. 00:08:41
How? What do you use to know whether you've been successful? 00:08:43
It was cool. So are your two goals the programming in the collection? Are those What are the goals you have? And how do you know 00:08:48
when you've nailed it? Oh, I love that. That's a great question, Russ, 'cause we want to have, like, you know, we have to think 00:08:53
about the metric. You know, what is measurable? What is reasonable? What are my goals? 00:08:59
Honestly, yes. Looking at statistics is really, really important. There's no question about South. Numbers are very important. How 00:09:07
many programs am I doing a month? What age group, what age groups am I targeting each month to make sure that all ages are 00:09:14
represented? That's really important. Like as I said, it's like one thing will be really helpful with outreach vehicles that yes, 00:09:21
I can go to preschools and visit with kiddos that may not come to the library. 00:09:29
With their parents, that's really so that's really helpful. But. 00:09:37
Honestly Lee, Chef, I'm going to be honest with you, it is the anecdotes. It is driving that MOVE vehicle for the good old days 00:09:41
and I've got families and families there saying, oh Miss Mary, Miss Mary. And it's just amazing. And so most recently when I was 00:09:48
out and about in the move, there was a little girl and she was with her dad and she saw me and she was just looking and looking as 00:09:56
I drove by and her dad told me afterwards. 00:10:04
She kept on saying, Vroom, vroom, Miss Mary, Vroom, Vroom, Miss, Mary. And so Alicia, I think as much as I like to quantify, you 00:10:11
know, my success in that it is those antidotes and it is our community when they come and they know who I am and they come to our 00:10:19
library and hopefully they become successful readers. That's the ultimate goal. 00:10:27
Thank you. 00:10:35
Anybody else? 00:10:38
Thank you very much for your presentation. You're welcome. What is your collection budget? Oh gosh. So we. Oh, that's so it's. 00:10:40
Well, it's so collection wise it's kind of broken down into fiction and nonfiction and gosh, I I have to think about that. I don't 00:10:50
know it off the top of my head. So what we do is we have, we purchase books from Baker and Taylor once a month. 00:10:59
And we have. 00:11:09
Basically funds that are spread out throughout a 10 month kind of based on kind of fiscal year and so that's kind of hard to say, 00:11:12
I don't, I don't really know so my so I kind of know my number so. 00:11:19
I trying to think like what is that starting number, I don't know. I do know apart from the collection that with the Joe Rock 00:11:27
funds how that has worked out and I can use that for programming and and also for collection development they three years ago. 00:11:37
The direct funds were for $100,000 over a 10 year time period. Now that said, the funds have to be expended by the 10 years, so 00:11:48
there is no holdover, they must be spent. So those are funds that I'm able to use if within the city and what the library is 00:11:58
allotted isn't enough. I can add to that with those with that collection of money. 00:12:08
So I'd have to get back to you, Karen, if you like that specific number. 00:12:19
Thank you. You're welcome. 00:12:24
Are there any other questions? 00:12:28
You betcha. 00:12:30
What? 00:12:33
What are the biggest constraints in your job? If if there could be like one change that would just open it wide up, but like what? 00:12:35
What would that be? Yeah, you know, honestly, I think it's it's honestly, it's time. I am a 40 hour Children's Youth Services 00:12:46
children's librarian and we are open five days a week and it's not possible for me to be at the library the whole entire time. 00:12:56
I do come to I do work once a month on a Saturday to offer a bilingual story time. But that is my biggest constraint is time. If 00:13:08
there was more of me, that would be wonderful. 00:13:14
Yeah. Thank you. Thank you for that. 00:13:22
And I have a simple question. How long have you been working for the life? Yeah, so I've been there for 5 1/2 years and I started 00:13:27
out as an on call reference librarian. So that was, well, technically start on as a volunteer and then I became the an uncle, the 00:13:35
reference librarian. And that's one thing I'm very grateful about the city itself and. 00:13:43
With the support of the city manager and I guess what the council as well. 00:13:52
Is that and our leadership as well is that we have tried to hire and promote internally, which is really, really important. So 00:13:56
really the only way or the only reason why I'm there now is because of that philosophy. And with the previous children's 00:14:06
librarian, I hope I would obviously candidate, but nonetheless the previous librarian did retire. 00:14:16
And so there was a vacancy, and so hiring within the city's. 00:14:26
I just think that policy in itself, I mean not every position can just be ones that are open internally. But I think that was 00:14:33
really pivotal and I think that's the one of the kind of creates a real big kind of tightness and bond within the department 00:14:40
because you can see if I work hard and their openings then there's an opportunity for me it's it's not a given by any means, but 00:14:48
it is an opportunity and if that I guess kind of loyalty. 00:14:55
And dedication is rewarded. It does create a sense of I'm really glad to be here and so I'm very appreciative for that. So that 00:15:03
was a, yes, relatively easy question, but I wanted to answer in a way that was very honest and that kind of provided transparency 00:15:12
within the library that it is possible to move up and and so I'm grateful for that. 00:15:21
And finally, do you have any thoughts about how the this board might be able to help you? 00:15:31
I like that. Well, I think what is really important is, is, you know, I obviously have to make a lot of decisions and I think for 00:15:40
the board, I think, I think it's important. It's valuable for me, sorry to have, you know, I I want to hear your thoughts as well 00:15:50
and if there is a particular need within my scope of influence and what I'm able to accomplish myself. 00:16:01
And you feel that that's something that may be missing, then I'm certainly open to listening to it. 00:16:11
Thank you. Any further questions? Sure. 00:16:18
I have a follow up question. 00:16:21
My granddaughter was an avid reader. 00:16:26
And she and I always talked about covers for young adult books. And I would like to make a suggestion that you might consider, you 00:16:30
might have already done it, I don't know, is to have a contacts contest and following up on your query as to what is the best 00:16:38
cover for young adults. Yeah. Yeah. Within the industry, within the book industry, it's quite, it's quite the thing. Right. Right. 00:16:47
Yeah, I know that. No, that's wonderful, Karen. I know there was something along those lines. 00:16:56
When Charlene was the teen librarian, one of her ideas was to look at the covers of young adults and if they had a face, to kind 00:17:05
of align your face with the cover as well. And so that was a lot of, that was a lot of fun and so, yes, so Karen, I think that's a 00:17:13
great suggestion. What is your favorite cover? Sounds good. 00:17:20
Excuse me, There's nothing further. I thank you, Mary. I really appreciate your presentation. It was very helpful. You're very 00:17:32
welcome. Thank you very much for the opportunity to know you a little bit. I don't think we've ever grilled anyone like we're 00:17:36
just. 00:17:41
So I. 00:17:54
Next, following up on the agenda item we are on, we'll ask for council liaison announcements. 00:17:56
So everyone, good to see you guys again. So yeah, I'm, I'm guessing you guys are already familiar with the fact that our interim 00:18:14
city manager, who is with us for several months had his last City Council meeting on May 1st. 00:18:20
And as of yesterday, our new city Manager, Matt Mogensen is now at the helm and getting kind of getting around and starting to 00:18:26
meet people. So he's here in City Hall now if anybody wanted to to work on getting a chance to meet him and he will be at our next 00:18:33
City Council meeting. So yeah, we're very excited about that. 00:18:40
And then just some kind of key elements. I tried to pick out things that I thought might be relevant for you guys as community 00:18:49
members and if there was anything relevant to library. 00:18:53
So we did direct the city manager to return to council with documents having to do with reputing on the ballot, changing the City 00:18:58
Council from six to four members. And I don't know if you guys had the opportunity to listen to the meeting, but related to that, 00:19:04
but not. 00:19:09
But another advantage to the community is they are actually contracting with the third party vendor, Easy Smart Pay, which will 00:19:52
allow you to pay your property tax bill and your sewer bill on a monthly basis using either. 00:19:59
ACH or credit card. So that's something which I know there was some controversy, so I wanted to get the information out that it's 00:20:08
not that you have to necessarily pay it all at one time or I guess technically two or three times a year, but that gives you 00:20:13
additional options. 00:20:17
So that's coming. Recently, we also authorized the agreement with Park Planets. So the new play equipment will be going into 00:20:22
George Washington Park. So they'll start working on that. We also, and this is particularly related to the library as well, we 00:20:29
received an IT infrastructure assessment and that was looking at what we need to do for our city's IT infrastructure. And So what 00:20:37
we're looking at is improving speed, reliability, adding more redundancies. 00:20:44
Security. 00:20:52
And basically improving the overall IT infrastructure with specific focus on City Hall and City Council chambers as well as the 00:20:54
Police Department in the library. So they'll be bringing forward more information on that and working on that. And then just so 00:21:02
everybody is knowledgeable, we also directed the city manager to work with the clerk to provide notices. It turns out there is a 00:21:10
law. Well, it's not enforceable, the law of how soon before elections people can post election signs. 00:21:18
So as members of the city government, it's helpful to know in case anybody asks you why are signs going up early. It may be 00:21:26
because that we actually cannot enforce the law, that it can only be six weeks before the election. Should just want to make sure 00:21:30
you're aware of that as well. 00:21:35
Any any questions for me? 00:21:41
Thank you. 00:21:45
Thank you for. 00:21:46
McDonald, our council liaison, appreciate it. I'll ask Charlene if you have any announcements. 00:21:48
Yes, thank you. I'll do my general just kind of flowing through all our different programs and events as I normally would. So as 00:21:57
far as staffing, we did hire Melinda to Ruin. She's a new 30 hour circulation tech. She started on April 2nd and she's been great. 00:22:04
She's taken over position absolutely wonderfully and she seems to enjoy the position as well. We'll also increase Katrina Coyle's 00:22:11
hours from 30 to 40 hours per week. 00:22:18
She'll also be helping more with adult events now that she has more hours. She's one of our reference librarians. 00:22:25
As far as children's programs, we have our regular story times, which Mary kind of talked about, dated our first annual badges and 00:22:32
books. That was where we had two officers from the PD here in Fiji come out and read a couple of books, answer some Q&A and then 00:22:39
also give out little books and stickers to the children as well. And there was an attendance of about 17. So like I said, it's our 00:22:47
first annual, so we'd like to continue this each year. 00:22:54
Hopefully during National Library Week is our plan. 00:23:02
They have become increasingly popular. The word has gone out. The children's room during those times is super busy, so I hope you 00:23:46
make it out to the library so during some of these different story times and crafter news to really see just how much of A poll 00:23:51
Mary brings in. 00:23:57
That's been also popular. I started that on. 00:24:37
Think in December, January, and it was very popular. So basically teens come out, especially those that are really into like 00:24:40
fantasy and sci-fi. They're able to draw their own fantasy maps. Some of them are working on their own books and they're really 00:24:47
getting into it. She's also going to kind of build that into Dungeons and Dragons, which is also a very popular role-playing game. 00:24:54
So she kind of wants to start infusing that as well. And then we also have a paint party for teens on June 25th. 00:25:00
Other events I myself attended Canterbury Woods National Library Week event that they had on April 8th. That was great. I got to 00:25:08
meet a lot of the residents, learn about their different libraries. They have two different libraries there. So that was a great 00:25:15
event for me to kind of meet the librarians that are there as well. And you know, once again, outreach is important to us, as Mary 00:25:23
even said. So that was a good thing. And then the moderate Realtors Guild Open reception was on April 5th. That was well attended. 00:25:31
And then we also charge Particles, which is a jazz group, come with a poet, Mark Saggins on April 12th. We had the poetry 00:25:39
consortium meet up on 4/13, so April 13th. And then we also had Doctor Barbara Mossberg on April 19th. She did a play concert. It 00:25:45
was well attended, I attended. It was very fun. 00:25:52
And then the next day, on that Saturday, she had a memoir writing workshop, which was also full. 00:26:00
And the cake, if you're interested mostly in that, is around 11:30. So there you go. And then we'll also have Carol Marquardt back 00:26:39
on May 24th. She'll be doing a presentation that Friday evening. And then we have a meet the Author event on June 14th, which will 00:26:46
be Laurie R King and then a Recycled Book art workshop, which is part of our new adult summer reading program. We haven't done 00:26:53
that in years, have had anything for adults and that'll be on June 22nd. 00:27:01
As far as the move, I know I've talked about it a little bit and married it as well. It was shown at the City Council meeting on 00:27:09
April 3rd. It also debuted in the Good Old Days parade and it has been to various preschools and schools as well as we did drive 00:27:16
it over to public works to drop off donates to show them that we were capable of driving it. And to also say thank you very much 00:27:24
because they had a lot of parts in that and helping us get that ready to go. So that was fun and then. 00:27:31
Seen here and then we also plan to use it to go to Canterbury Woods. 00:27:38
Next Wednesday to do some outreach. 00:27:42
And that is all for me for now. Next meeting, I'll talk about the upcoming meetings I talked about and events and let you know how 00:27:46
those went. Thank you. 00:27:50
Thank you Charlene. I regret that I have a conflict. I can't work and I won't be at the 50th anniversary celebration, so I hope 00:27:57
everyone who can be there will be, as it sounds like, a lot of fun and I would be definitely interested in cake. 00:28:04
So I. 00:28:13
Does anyone on the board have an announcement? 00:28:16
The only thing that I have hearing none. The only thing that I have is a strong recommendation that each board member look at the 00:28:22
new board and Commissions handbook. 00:28:28
I learned something every time I look at it and it it's very clear, the guidelines are very clear and it's very useful and helpful 00:28:37
and I think we can avoid. 00:28:42
Some confusion if people will. 00:28:49
Take a serious look at what it says about how we need to conduct ourselves as a board. 00:28:53
Now we would go to general public comment and I. 00:29:03
Do we have a member of the public who would like to make a comment? 00:29:12
And I'm seeing none online. 00:29:19
Seeing none. Thank you very much. I did not receive any written, general public comment. 00:29:22
For this meeting. 00:29:30
Moving on to agenda item five, that would be approval of our minutes. Thank you, Carla, for your excellent minutes. 00:29:31
Does anyone have a question or a comment about the Minutes? 00:29:41
On the Minutes, they were for Tuesday, January 2nd, right? 00:29:47
So but it says on the in the actual minutes that they were approved. 00:29:54
For January approved and. 00:30:03
It should, I think it's just a clerical error, it should have said. 00:30:08
September minutes, because you met in September. They were approved by the City Council. December, I think, or January. 00:30:14
In the actual minutes for, yeah, we didn't have a meeting in March, right? So yeah. 00:30:23
Right, correct. 00:30:39
That was in the January minutes that were posted. 00:30:53
Do I hear a motion for approval? 00:31:00
Possibly with that? 00:31:04
Seconded. 00:31:15
All in favor. 00:31:21
Aye. 00:31:23
So. 00:31:31
It's the regular agenda unfinished. 00:31:41
The first item is this. 00:31:47
Procedures that we developed for non monetary. 00:31:50
Patients and. 00:31:54
It was. 00:31:58
Coming for our approval. 00:32:01
Time that Charlene took. 00:32:03
So in our prior meeting, we agreed to give her some. 00:32:06
Working at it so. 00:32:10
If she had any comments or concerns. 00:32:12
She could bring them up before we. 00:32:16
Finally. 00:32:20
That revised policy and. 00:32:22
Yes. And I'll just side note, we do I think have to say that Tom is not in attendance each time we do a yay or nay. 00:32:28
I believe so, yeah. 00:32:39
Like board member Tom Holden, yes. 00:32:42
With Tom Holden absent. Yeah, I believe so. OK. 00:32:48
OK. Thank you. 00:32:52
OK. And then going back into the non monetary donations, so I did look over the policy and the draft. 00:32:58
With that I noticed in there I did speak about. 00:33:08
Because she would need to be on board as well as get approval from their board of the Friends and Foundation before we can move 00:33:45
forward any further. 00:33:50
Thank you for that. It was my understanding she had been looped in. So OK, she hasn't. So now we know. Yes, I'm glad we. 00:33:55
Took a pause. So is what do you need any assistance from us to loop her in? So I did loop her in. She has a few questions. And so 00:34:02
I was thinking that me, myself, as well as you and Kim could potentially meet or e-mail about this. That way if we're not messing 00:34:10
with the quorum and kind of get to the bottom and make sure that this is something that they're also on board with before we could 00:34:17
move on. As far as a library board with that decision, yeah, I I agree completely. 00:34:25
So. 00:34:33
I will volunteer to help with that. OK. Thank you. Take the lead to make it happen. Yeah. OK. I'll do that. OK. Thank you, Tama. 00:34:35
You're welcome. 00:34:39
And I should have gone out for public comment. 00:34:52
Is only after clarifying questions were asked so at this point. 00:34:56
Umm, if you don't mind, I'll do that before we we go farther. So I think there is, is there any public comment? 00:35:02
I'm seeing none. Thank you. Thank you. So thank you. Now we can come back to the board and we can discuss the agenda. Report says 00:35:15
receive library director comments regarding the policy, but it doesn't give a policy number or name. I was wondering if you could 00:35:22
provide more clarification on that. 00:35:28
So once again, this was started before I took over the position, so I actually don't have a connection to that. All I saw was a 00:35:36
draft proposal. Tina, maybe you can speak to him. I don't know that it ever got a policy number. If you go back to prior minutes, 00:35:45
you can find the document or I can provide it for you if you want to catch up on it. The idea here was. 00:35:53
We on my watch here on this board, we recognized some monetary contributions to the library and the notion was that there are 00:36:04
people who give a lot of time and so we came up with a policy for potentially recognizing. 00:36:14
Extraordinary contributions that were not money and. 00:36:25
But. 00:36:32
Trying to think of the best way to catch up here might be to move this forward to a new agenda and include that draft policy in 00:36:34
the new agenda item. And then for current board members, if you go back to prior agendas, you'll see a link to that to that 00:36:40
document. 00:36:47
Chair, I did go back and I didn't see any policy, so I'm kind of. 00:36:58
You can see the document. 00:37:04
I know it was attached to some prior minutes, so I. 00:37:07
Let me I'm trying to figure the best way to do this. It is an equal best ways to carry it forward and and link the policy to the 00:37:12
future agenda item. 00:37:17
Thank you. That would that would make it available to everybody so we can. 00:37:24
Yeah, I did find it in the old minutes, which is why I thought it'd be good to talk about it and send it to Cambodia. It's 00:37:30
actually labeled draft procedure, not policy, which is maybe why it's not coming up. So I think it needs to be worded differently 00:37:35
to procedure instead of policy as well. 00:37:41
Thank you. 00:37:47
So our action is to carry that this forward to a future agenda item and and and catch everybody up on the draft procedure. 00:37:57
OK. 00:38:08
I think the idea here. 00:38:10
Well, you know, given that we haven't some new people involved, we could even take a step back and and. 00:38:13
Confirmed that the idea is still a good idea, but I think the idea was was had merit, but exactly how we operationalize it might. 00:38:20
You know, we could take whatever direction this current board decides they want to do. 00:38:27
And we need it. It was my understanding that the foundation had been looped in, as you say. Given that they haven't, we need to 00:38:34
make sure that happens. 00:38:40
Any further comments about this? 00:38:48
In new business. 00:38:52
So I. 00:38:57
I got the right agenda here. 00:39:02
Oh, you know what I did is I went to a different document, so I'm confusing myself. 00:39:12
Sorry about that. 00:39:19
I started to look at those minutes, so. 00:39:21
The outreach, communication, community involvement. That's our subcommittee of Carla Nielsen and Tom Oldham and you have a report. 00:39:25
Yes, I have a report. 00:39:36
Back on January 22nd, Tom and I met with Charlene via a Zoom meeting and we learned a number of things in our discussion. 00:39:40
Umm, We both queried about a meeting room that patrons could reserve for whatever reason, and Charlene said she's still pondering 00:39:51
how the library can provide that private meeting room for groups who would like to meet at the library. 00:40:00
It's also being considered whether the library should acquire musical instruments and or vinyl records for people to borrow. 00:40:10
Charlene is hoping to identify more teenagers who would be willing to provide help to the public with their technology issues. 00:40:20
#4 is about the library vehicle and we were told it'd be operational soon, so now it's on the road, so that's great. 00:40:29
Let's see. An idea Charlene had was to have police representatives. 00:40:40
Appear at the library periodically to meet with the public and answer any questions. 00:40:49
And she hopes that the library can be used as a way for other community groups to give information to the public about the 00:40:55
activities of their organizations. 00:41:00
And also that a librarian is planning to begin an adult reading reading group this summer. 00:41:05
So and Tom and I have been pleased to see the broad range of events that have been offered to the public and are excited to see 00:41:15
those plans for the coming months. We would like to offer our assistance in an area that perhaps could benefit from our outreach 00:41:22
and support. So any questions, so the if any board members have clarifying questions about this before I go out for public 00:41:30
comment, we can ask them now. 00:41:37
See if there is any public comment related to this item please. 00:41:49
I'm saying none. Thank you. OK, seeing none, this can come back for discussion. 00:41:55
I have a comment. Have you thought about the potential Pacific Grove Hotel? 00:42:04
When it goes up that. 00:42:10
We would communicate with them and provide information with them, or have a special case over there that showcases the history of 00:42:13
the library and. 00:42:18
That's a great idea. Programs. Let them know what programs are going on, sure. 00:42:24
I think that is a great idea. 00:42:33
My comment is just procedural. 00:42:36
It would be. At least one member of the public who routinely attends our meetings and isn't here today would appreciate getting 00:42:41
this report as part of the agenda. So we just didn't get it done in time. This time, yeah. So in the future, we'll strive to have 00:42:50
the report available for the public as part of the agenda. 00:42:58
Thank you for the work you are doing. I appreciate it. 00:43:09
Item C was this coordination group for city boards and commissions and which was an idea that was floated a few meetings ago 00:43:18
actually. And I have learned from our City Council liaison that this is no longer an active idea and therefore I think we can take 00:43:24
it off our agenda and not. 00:43:31
Carry it forward. 00:43:39
Any clarifying questions before I go out for the public for? 00:43:42
A Charlene, could you check to see if there's any public comment? 00:43:50
I'm seeing none. Thank you. 00:43:54
And seeing none. 00:43:56
It is. Any discussion from the board, we'll just take this off the agenda. Simple I think. 00:43:59
Item D Was this a question about record keeping for purchased art? To bring remind people about how this came up is we did a deep 00:44:06
dive into. 00:44:11
Resolving a collection, a set of art that was in the collection that we did not know much about and you know needed to figure out 00:44:20
if they were items that needed to be kept or or D. 00:44:29
Commission from the the collection, the question came up. Given that we resolved this historical problem, do we have good record 00:44:40
keeping if we buy something new so we're not creating the problem in the future that we have things that people might donate to us 00:44:49
or we might purchase that we need to record the Providence. So Charlene, have you had a chance to look into that? 00:44:59
Yes, thank you. 00:45:11
Umm, so we do have a policy and now that we have inventoried everything that we currently have with details, that's a good 00:45:13
starting point for the future. There is a form in the process if something does get donated to us or we do decide to add something 00:45:18
to the collection. 00:45:23
And that's a big if. If we do add it, it will go on the inventory list with details including the provenance of where it came from 00:45:29
so that in the future we wouldn't run into what happened probably 6 months ago or whatever it is. I did also bring the notation 00:45:37
request form that would be utilized for that. Basically it just asks about the donor, different contact information about the 00:45:45
artwork, including like the size, the value if there's an appraisal. 00:45:52
So I think that covers everything that we were looking for. Thank you. 00:46:35
Thank you. Are there any clarifying questions before we go out to the public? 00:46:39
So Charlene, could you check to see if there's any interest in public comment? 00:46:46
I'm saying that again. Thank you. 00:46:52
Thank you. The only observation I have is way down in the weeds. We are trying to substitute Library Board for Library Advisory 00:46:54
Board. 00:46:58
Any other comments or discussion? 00:47:05
Charlene, what's the number of that policy? 00:47:08
It's just titled Pacific Grove Public Library Donation Request form, so I could look online. Yeah, I don't think it's under our 00:47:13
actual policies. When you look at the city of Pacific Grove, how it has all the different policies there. I think it's just a form 00:47:19
that was potentially made internally. I'm not sure I'd have to see it. 00:47:26
Yeah, I don't think it has a policy number associated. 00:47:34
Good, as I know that this city has a policy. 00:47:37
I believe. 00:47:43
I was just wondering if you had taken a look at that and seeing whether? 00:47:45
We could fall under that because it'd be stronger if we had a policy. 00:47:49
Does the client mean a policy about donations in general through the city all right? 00:47:55
Of art? No, I haven't looked into that. I've only looked at what we have for the library and also what Diana Godwin, my 00:48:00
predecessor, referred me to when I did bring this up to her is that it would be potentially something we would discuss, but I can 00:48:05
certainly look at it. Thanks. 00:48:10
So should we carry this item forward to get a response to that question that Karen raised? 00:48:17
Seem right. 00:48:25
OK. 00:48:27
That's what we will do. We'll we'll talk about this at a upcoming meeting again. 00:48:28
And then under New Business, the only item I have is Any. 00:48:35
Suggestions that people on the board have for future agenda items. We're trying to adopt A discipline here where the agenda for 00:48:41
future meetings is set in the public setting, as opposed to some private communications among us between meetings. 00:48:49
So, any suggestions for agenda items for? 00:48:58
Future meetings. 00:49:05
Question for Elisa. We had spoken way back when about, you know, multicultural outreach, things like that. Or there was another 00:49:07
committee that you were a part of that we were going to merge together. Do you recall that? 00:49:16
Yeah, we had talked over a year ago in a couple meetings about trying to get a sense of. 00:49:25
Whether there is. 00:49:37
A match between the stated goals and mission of the library and the services and everything. We all know that they're doing great 00:49:43
programs and services, but. 00:49:51
Are those the mission in in congruence with that? 00:50:00
After I think a few meetings, it sort of kind of fell away. 00:50:07
For other things, but you and I had talked about. 00:50:13
Whether. 00:50:17
Information gathering on your committee if you came up with some understanding of either the nature of the community and the 00:50:21
specific needs of our community. 00:50:28
Where we might look and and make sure that everybody's being served appropriately and and sufficiently. 00:50:37
Or whether. 00:50:45
You'd discover that there might be an opportunity to, to reach a portion of the community that that might have something specific 00:50:48
in need. OK, right. Yeah, this helps because Tom and I are trying to see where we go next. You know, I feel like we've really, we 00:50:57
have a good idea now of the library services and the offerings and they're very robust. We had no idea, you know, that there were 00:51:05
so many different events and so many things for the, you know, the neighborhood here, so. 00:51:13
Just trying to. 00:51:22
Figure out something else for us as we go forward with our committee to look into another thing that I had. 00:51:24
Discussed quite a while back as I had talked with Diana Godwin, the director at the time, about whether. 00:51:32
The the library thought that there was it. It was worth reviewing their mission and their goals to see if there wasn't you know 00:51:39
whether they wanted to make something more specific in there or because it's it's necessarily very broad which is very helpful but 00:51:47
you know just in order in order to make sure that. 00:51:55
It's capturing the the current times and the current needs of folks and the current goals of of the library. 00:52:03
I'm not sure that we we really went anywhere with that specifically. 00:52:12
Something to think about so before we have further discussion. 00:52:17
Let me go out to the public to see if anyone has a comment about future agenda items. 00:52:23
No public comment. Thank you. Thank you. 00:52:29
It what dawned on me as it as you said that you're looking for future direction that we could perhaps add that as an agenda item 00:52:35
in the future. It not just receive a report from you but talk about it. 00:52:43
The possibilities that continuing to bring some marketing competence to bear on the the issue, we could find a new direction to 00:52:52
take. Does that make sense? I think sitting just the one time with Charlene, you know, really helped us to understand what her 00:53:00
mission is as the new library director. So we are kind of not really starting over because we've learned so much, but yes, just 00:53:07
to. 00:53:15
Redirect to specific goals. I think I outlined a few of them. Maybe we can put our might behind one of those and market that and 00:53:23
see what we get back. 00:53:29
So I guess my my question procedurally is, is this something that? 00:53:37
Where the Board as a whole could could contribute and we bring it back as an agenda item for the discussion by the Board as a 00:53:42
whole or is it something that you can carry forward with your committee of two and and we? 00:53:49
You know we can't help. 00:53:58
That's what I'm thinking. 00:54:01
I think Tom and I just need a little more time, 'cause it's been so fragmented, you know, over these past months. And I think now 00:54:03
we have a sturdy base and we have a director who's, you know, very willing to meet with us and work with us. 00:54:11
So I think let's keep it as the committee of two and then expand it at some point perhaps. 00:54:18
Any comments? Yes, discussion. The city, I believe, is going to be hiring a demographer. 00:54:28
As part of the. 00:54:36
The redistricting issues, So I don't know as far as the timeline when that is or whether it is in the works or when the report is 00:54:40
expected, but I would think that that would be some help for you because they would definitely look at the demography of the city. 00:54:50
Great suggestion, Karen. 00:55:02
I do have an agenda item to for future putting on the agenda and thank you Alicia for bringing that up about the. 00:55:08
The mission. Excuse me, In reviewing the old minutes, I saw that particular documented item where they were talking about the 00:55:16
missions not being aligned. And so I went through and I pulled out, excuse me, the mission of the library board? The mission of 00:55:24
the Pacific Grove Library. 00:55:31
The mission of the Friends and Foundation, The City of PG Mission. 00:55:41
And I looked at the budget and it has a mission and it doesn't correlate to any of all of the above. 00:55:46
So I I want to come from a place of where there's not a problem that we are solving. There's not a problem with the mission 00:56:33
because I I wouldn't endorse that. 00:56:38
But I think it's worth a look. 00:56:44
And and I got the sense from Diana at the time that that there there. 00:56:47
She didn't think that there was necessarily anything that needed to be done. 00:56:53
But I feel like it's one of those things that you would prefer to do, like as a setting point to to. 00:57:00
Pull in the culture to make sure that you're sharing the culture that the library has. 00:57:09
Rather than, I don't know, something pops off and somebody feels away or somebody wants to take a library in a direction and and 00:57:16
and the mission can be helpful in maintaining what the. 00:57:23
Preferred direction is so. 00:57:32
No, thank you. 00:57:35
So if we put it on, it's not because we're fixing a problem. 00:57:36
The mission is great. Let's make sure it is still great and it is great. 00:57:40
Yeah. 00:57:45
I I I think of it also it's potential education, you know, for us and the public about the missions in these organizations. And 00:57:49
Tom Oldham has asked more than once if we could have a presentation from the Friends and Foundation so that he can figure out how 00:57:57
the two organizations work together. So if we can continue to work on that, that would be very helpful. 00:58:04
So. 00:58:13
I'm going to propose that, at least as the first start, we review the missions. Karen, you did see a mismatch with the budget. 00:58:16
Yeah, correct. On on the budget page for the PG library. 00:58:31
It has a mission statement and is not in alignment with the library mission, so we we we do have something possibly worth. 00:58:37
Highlighting So let's put something on the agenda. That is, we'll start with a review of the missions and sounds almost like 00:58:50
whoever put the budget together and thank you for the research and thoroughness you've been bringing to this. Might have copied 00:58:57
from the wrong place to come up with the mission of The Who knows museum but. 00:59:05
With Let me not solve that here, but suggest we put that review on there and then see if we can get a presentation from friends 00:59:15
and Foundation just for our education. 00:59:19
About how they view their role in relationship to us, that's been the question Tom has raised more than once. 00:59:25
OK. 00:59:32
I mean, it looks like the budget mission is just the first half of the state admission of the library, so I wouldn't necessarily 00:59:34
think that's. 00:59:37
I mean, well, let's deal with that when we have it all in front of us. 00:59:40
I just. 00:59:47
I just wanted to say I did look at other like fire and police and things like that and then cross reference and they did. 00:59:48
They did not abbreviate or abridge, and so it's got to be an old one. It just needs to be updated. There you go. 00:59:55
Beyond that, beyond. 01:00:04
Clerical issues here, I think personally I see some value in us getting those missions in front of us and letting the public good, 01:00:08
whether they listen to our recording or participate in our meeting, know what they all are and and I think it would be fruitful. 01:00:14
So let's do that. 01:00:20
And. 01:00:27
On that note, umm. 01:00:29
Our next meeting is July 2nd, 2024 and with no further business to conduct, we are adjourned. Thank you all for your contributions 01:00:33
and participation today, July 20, July 2nd. I have July 2nd. Thank you. 01:00:42
scroll up